On February 16, 2018, the Government of Alberta introduced updates to the Alberta Gaming, Liquor, and Cannabis Regulation that will govern how legal cannabis retailers operate. While the regulations will establish a province-wide regulatory framework, municipalities will have the ability to adjust certain aspects to best suit their communities.
The regulation now outlines a number of operational requirements for private retailers, including:
- Mandatory background checks for retail licence applicants.
- Mandatory training and background checks for all retail employees.
- One person, group, or organization cannot hold more than 15 per cent of retail licences in Alberta.
- A 100-metre buffer for stores from schools and provincial health-care facilities. However, municipalities have the ability to adjust these buffer zones or add additional ones to best suit their communities’ needs.
- Store hours set between 10 a.m. and 2 a.m. (the same as liquor stores) with municipalities able to adjust these hours.
- Mandatory security measures in stores.
For further information or inquires about the legalization of cannabis please contact:
Development Officer ll
Back To Postings